Search This Blog

Friday, April 2, 2010

Everyone Complains About Getting Older

Everyone complains about growing older, but it's a whole lot better than the alternative!

Admittedly, I am only 46 years old. Now for those of you in your twenties, you're saying to yourself, "Only?" But those of you who are in your sixties, you understand what I am saying. I am only 46 years old - and getting older. And here's the miracle - I don't mind. In fact, I enjoy it.

Here's why. When I was in my twenties, I enjoyed a healthy body, stamina, strength and the ability to push my physical body in any endeavor. I had no wrinkles and all of my hair. But I lacked several things that make getting older a much better trade-off - I got the better end of the deal.

In trade for all of those physical attributes I gained a wife, two children, two in-law children and wisdom. A person's intelligence has much to do with their DNA, their upbringing and their schooling. But one can acquire wisdom in only one way - to grow older.

When I was younger, I was full of fire and vinegar, but I had some rather common fears. I feared, above all, growing older and death. I was afraid that I would die young and leave no legacy - no children behind to carry on my personality. Ironic, isn't it? The thing that would wake me up in a cold sweat is now the thing that I am celebrating - my age!

I have lived. That's what you get when you grow older - a life. You get to live. How you live is up to you, and everyday gives you a brand new start on the path you choose to walk for the rest of your life. You live and you learn. And you gain wisdom.

My son is a genius. Now I know that a lot of parents say that about their kids. I am not bragging - I am stating a fact. When he was 5 years old, my wife and I were called by the elementary school and asked if we could meet the next day with the principal of the school. Now no parent wants to get that kind of a call, but the secretary assured us that it wasn't because my son was in trouble.

When we arrived the next day and entered his office there were four school administrators waiting for us, and the first thought that went through my mind was, "What did that kid do?" After we were seated, the principal thanked us for coming and turned the meeting over to my son's teacher.

She asked if we were aware that our son could read. Of course we were aware - we taught him how to read. Then the school reading tutor asked if we knew at what grade level he was reading. I looked at my wife and her eyes questioned mine. No, we replied, we didn't know. She then stunned us by reporting that after several tests, she could show that he was reading at an 8th grade level. He was 5 years old!

Then the other administrator spoke up and identified herself as the school district psychologist. She said that she would like to have his IQ tested. After a lengthy discussion, we agreed. The results? At the age of 5, his IQ score was 162 - genius level.

The psychologist further stated that his IQ was most likely higher, but many of the questions at the higher levels made assumptions about the experience level of the person being tested, and that because he was inexperienced about the world, he missed questions that he would probably have understood. Yep, we had to raise a son who was certifiably smarter than either of us!

It wasn't so bad until he turned about 13 and realized that he was smarter than us. Then he began challenging us, using very sophisticated arguments and logic, trying to attack our rules and expectations. Finally, I realized something that saved us, and to a degree, I believe our relationship. He might be smarter than me, but he would never be wiser than me, because there is only one way to get wisdom - you gotta live!

I sat him down and explained my position, and surprisingly, he agreed. We agreed at that point to respect one another more and to listen to one another more. We also agreed to realize that disagreement did not mean disrespect and that we would be able to work everything out.

He has a younger sister, and she is just as smart. Yep, I had that same talk with her, too.

So many people regret getting older because they sense the loss of vitality and physical ability - even physical desirability. Some even look so far into the future as to fear death. I no longer fear either.

Last fall, when I almost lost my life, I realized that death isn't the end and that I will have much to look forward to in the great hereafter. Yes, it would be nice to be able to once again run and jump as I did when I was younger. But instead I climb higher mountains and run farther than I ever though possible in my mind.

My mind and my search for wisdom has taken me on more wondrous journeys and revealed to me more wonderful truths than my physical body ever could have. And when my time is up, whenever that may be, I know that my family will miss me and that I will long for the day when they can cross over and join me. But compared to eternity, what's a few years?

Everyone complains about getting older, but I think it would help to take inventory of all that you've gained along the way. Yes, a few wrinkles, several scars, a few pounds; but what are these compared to all else? Not much. Celebrate your journey and look forward to the rest of the trip. There is, after all, no going back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated, but are subject to editing and/or deletion. The purpose of this blog is to uplift and help others through this journey we call life. If you are focused on tearing down and hurting, please do not comment.